To celebrate the 50th anniversary of women obtaining the right to vote in Switzerland, all NCCRs currently in place across the whole country joint forces to release a series of videos showcasing women working in science. The videos are targeted at girls and boys of school and undergraduate age. The videos aim to influence the stereotypes of how people picture a scientist and to give insights into the everyday life of scientists. Each NCCR will host a week where they will publish several videos covering multiple scientific disciplines, from 8th of March (International Women’s Day) until 31st of October 2021 (50th anniversary of the women's vote in Switzerland).
The NCCR RNA & Disease shot five movies in Bern and in Zurich to portrait several female researchers at different career stages. The following five portraits were published in the week from June 28th – July 2nd, 2021 on YouTube:
- Monday, June 28, 2021: Portrait of Valeriia Volodkina, PhD student from the Meister Group, Institute of Cell Biology, University of Bern. Click here to watch the video on YouTube.
- Tuesday, June 29, 2021: Portrait of Magdalini Polymenidou, Professor at the Department of Quantitative Biomedicine, University of Zurich. Click here to watch the video on YouTube.
- Wednesday, June 30, 2021: Portrait of Jasmin van den Heuvel (Postdoc), Kerstin Dörner (PhD student), Claudia Gafko (PhD student), Chiara Ruggeri (PhD student) from the Kutay Group, Institute of Biochemistry, ETH Zurich. Click here to watch the video on YouTube.
- Thursday, July 1st, 2021: Portrait of Nancy Carullo, Postdoc from the Mansuy Group, Brain Research Institute, University of Zurich & ETH Zurich. Click here to watch the video on YouTube.
- Friday, July 2nd, 2021: Portrait of Stefanie Jonas, Professor at the Department of Biology, ETH Zurich. Click here to watch the video on YouTube.